The Ultimate Great Land Vacation Itinerary
If there’s one thing we know here at Westmark Hotels—well, other than how to offer our guests truly one-of-a-kind lodging experiences—it’s how to make the most of a Great Land vacation. We’re always getting asked by our guests what we think is the best way to experience the beauty and expanse of Alaska and the Yukon.
We’ve thought long and hard and put together two itineraries that represent the very best stops and excursions for your trip. Also, remember that in the summer months, the sun hardly dips below the horizon before it comes back up again—we call this the Midnight Sun—which will allow you to really pack a whole lot of adventure into your travels.
The Sky’s the Limit Tour
Alaska vacation adventures and unparalleled sightseeing abound in this first 7-day itinerary.
Anchorage – Denali National Park – Fairbanks – Whitehorse Yukon – Skagway – Juneau
- Fly to Anchorage. Start with a day trip to the Portage Glacier before you explore Anchorage. In the evening, explore the city and all of the dining and nightlife delights that abound.
- Next, rent a car and journey on to Denali National Park where you will see wildlife galore against the backdrop of Denali, the tallest mountain in the United States and one of the tallest in the world.
- Drive from Denali to Fairbanks to enjoy the Northern Lights or bask in the light of the summer’s Midnight Sun.
- Drive from Whitehorse to Skagway to find the best of the Klondike Gold Rush era and travel the scenic South Klondike Highway.
- No trip to Alaska is complete without a ferry ride into Juneau, the capital of Alaska. With just over 32,000 residents, Juneau is the sixth smallest US capital in terms of population and the largest in terms of area. In fact, the “city” is larger than Rhode Island!
- Fly home and start planning your return visit to the Great Land, we know you’ll want to!
Two if by Sea
This itinerary is perfect for anyone who wants to combine ferry travel with the one of the greatest road trips of the Last Frontier.
Skagway – Whitehorse – Dawson – Fairbanks – Denali National Park – Anchorage
- Drive to Bellingham, Washington in the U.S. or Prince Rupert, British Columbia in Canada. Then take the ferry to Skagway, the jumping off point for the Chilkoot Trail where you can experience the rustic wonder of the Gold Rush.
- Drive or take the train to journey through the mountains and over the majestic White Pass to Whitehorse for even more Klondike fun.
- Drive to Dawson City and experience the gorgeous Top of the World Highway.
- Drive to Fairbanks and visit the best place in the United States to view the Northern Lights or soak up the rays of the Midnight Sun.
- Drive from Fairbanks to Denali National Park for a unique wilderness adventure and majestic views of the largest mountain in the U.S.
- Travel from Denali to Anchorage (236 miles/380 km), Alaska’s largest city, the perfect waypoint for a day trip to see Alaska’s astounding glaciers and soak up the nightlife of the city before you leave Alaska.
- Fly home and then come back and see us again!