The sun is shining strong and bright in Anchorage these days. Today, the sun outside the Westmark Anchorage Hotel will rise at 4:20 a.m. and set at 11:42 p.m., providing 11 hours and 22 minutes of glorious daylight. With such long days and temperatures hovering in the 60s and 70s, there is no better time of year to step out of bed early in the morning and check out the fresh, local produce at Anchorage’s bountiful farmers markets located throughout the city.
Don’t let the long dark winters fool you. Alaska’s summers produce a wide array of agricultural products from candy-sweet carrots and purple cauliflower to apples, berries, potatoes and colorful plant starts. Alaska grown specialties include a variety of year-round products such as grass-fed beef, Alaska seafood, cheese curds, butter, ice cream, organic breads and hand-made soaps.
In Anchorage you’ll find the one-stop-shop farmers market you’ve been looking for. Stock up on all kinds of picnic essentials merely steps from your hotel room before taking on a splendid Alaskan day. Most markets feature food vendors—many using only the freshest, locally grown ingredients and hand-made arts and crafts.
There are five farmers markets in Anchorage and the largest one – the Anchorage Market & Festival is just a short walk from the Westmark Anchorage Hotel. This open-air market is like a fairground with pony rides, music shows and fair food vendors bustling alongside locally grown Alaskan produce, artist booths and Alaskan souvenir stands. For 19 years, this market has been a popular destination for Alaskans and visitors alike. With over 400 vendors, the Anchorage Market & Festival operates Saturdays and Sundays, May 12-Sept. 9.
The Center Market in Mid-Town is the only farmers market that operates year round. Open Wednesdays and Saturdays from 11 a.m.-6 p.m., this market features a wide selection of meats, vegetables, fruits, jams, eggs, plants and more.
Fun Things to do in Anchorage: Farmers Markets
- Anchorage Market & Festival – Saturdays and Sundays, 10 a.m.–6 p.m. 3rd Avenue between C and E Streets.
- Center Market – Wednesdays 11 a.m.–6 p.m. and Saturdays 10 a.m.-4 p.m. on 600 E. Northern Lights Blvd., in the Sears Mall parking lot.
- Spenard Farmers Market – Saturdays, 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at Chilkoot Charlie’s parking lot on 26th Ave. and Spenard Rd.
- South Anchorage Farmers Market – Saturdays, 9 a.m.–2 p.m. at the Subway – Cellular One Sports Center parking lot on the corner of Old Seward Highway and O’Malley Rd.
- Anchorage Farmers Market – Saturdays 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at the Central Lutheran Church parking lot on the corner of 15th Ave and Cordova St.