Alaska is home to America’s tallest peak, captivating scenery, and some of the most creative people you’ll ever meet. Across the state, artists put all of those things on display at “First Friday” events. Different artists feature their works of art at participating businesses for the general public to enjoy on the first Friday of the month.
Whether you’re an artist yourself or looking for some local art to display in your home, kick the first weekend in March off right with some of the state’s most creative minds on March 1. Here’s a look at some can’t-miss First Friday happenings to check out during your March stay.
- Yuliya’s SplashNPaint Art Studio Presents Student Art Exhibition
- This First Friday event is perfect for families with children because it’s sure to inspire. From 4-6 p.m., masterpieces made by some young Anchorage artists will be on display. Over the last several months, the young artists have created complex compositions. This showcase at Great Harvest Bread Co. will display the culmination of their hard work.
- First Friday SSP Studio & Gallery
- SSP Studio and Gallery is “taking photography to an art form beyond the normal” by opening its doors with some of Alaska’s top photographers from 5-10 p.m. At this event, local photographers are taking their lens to new lengths and displaying their moments frozen in time for the community to see.
- March First Friday Featuring J. Arthur Perry
- The Midnight Sun Cafe is featuring a photographer who has been capturing Alaska’s beauty for 40 years. From 5-7 p.m., the J. Arthur Perry line of photographic work from scenic to abstract will be up for show.
- Sevigny Studios presents Alaskan artist Andrea Patton with her show “I Love Alaska”
- Sevigny Studios is hosting local artist Andrea Patton’s works of art, including a painting that reflects all that is memorable in Alaska. From 6-9 p.m. you’ll be able to enjoy the sights of Patton’s newest masterpieces and the sounds of singer/songwriter Becky Kotter.
- Covenant House – Youth Art Show
- Join Covenant House Alaska for works of art made by young local artists. From 6-8 p.m., original artwork, jewelry and sculptures will be available to view or to purchase. The evening will also feature music, light hors d’oeuvres and refreshments. All sales goes to supporting the nonprofit.
- Up With Art – Annual Student Art Exhibition
- Now in its 35th year, the Fairbanks Arts Association welcomes young artists from the Fairbanks North Star Borough School District in the Bear Gallery for the Up with Art Exhibition. Participating K-12 schools will have two- and three-dimensional artworks on display just in time for National Youth Arts Month. The event runs from 5-7 p.m.
- First Friday with Deborah Porter
- What better way to say goodbye to winter than to say hello to Fairbanks artist Deborah Porter? Visit Hoarfrost Distillery between 3 and 8 p.m. and feel the warmth of the higher temps ahead with her beautiful flower paintings.
- First Friday at River City Cafe
- Join Fairbanks artist Juliana Capel Velasco from 5-8 p.m. for her First Friday River City Cafe in Downtown Fairbanks. On display will be some of her artwork, including some original pieces that will be up for sale.
- First Friday with Baxter Bond
- Fairbanks photographer Baxter Bond is taking over Black Spruce Brewing Company from 3-8 p.m. with his collection titled “Lumina Montes!” BSBC will have fresh beers on tap and made-to-order pizza from the Hungry Robot while you enjoy.