Visitors coming to Fairbanks during the first week of August might be a little early for total fall views, but they will get a true taste of Fairbanks’ vibrant arts scene and festivities with “First Friday” events scattered all over town. On Aug. 2, visitors can get in the heart of the action with a stay at Westmark Fairbanks Hotel and Conference Center. The Westmark here is centrally located for many not-to-be-missed Friday happenings.
- Artist Reception: Barbara Gabel — Take in the beauty at this showcase of Barbara Gabel’s acrylic and oil masterpieces at the Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitors Center. The gallery will be open from 5 to 8 p.m.
- Expressions in Glass — Pick up a unique Alaska gift to commemorate your trip and check out the work of Kim Krinke, an artist who specializes in stained glass, woodcarvings and acrylic paintings. The event will take place from 5-8 p.m.
- Hoarfrost Distilling — Sip on a local cocktail while viewing the artwork from University of Alaska Fairbanks graduate Devante Owens. His unique collection blends sea life and outer space into spectacular works of art. The showing runs from 3 to 8 p.m.
- Sipping Streams Tea Company — Enjoy refreshments while viewing local art from Chelsea Lombardi and Maggie May. Chelsea will be displaying some of her most recent watercolor scenes, while Maggie will be showcasing vibrant, hand-painted mugs. The art will be out for display from 6 to 8 p.m.
- Calypso Farm— Celebrate art at Calypso Farm and Ecology Center where visitors can meet the animals, participate in hands-on activities and shop for wool. Activities include wool felting, garden tours, creating flower crowns and more. The event runs from 4 to 8 p.m.
- Tanana Valley State Fair—That’s right, fair food! The Tanana Valley State Fair begins annually on the first Friday in August. Come out on Aug. 2 to kick off 9-10 days of Fairbanks agriculture, culinary arts, local artists, music scene and more with over 150 vendors. The fair concludes on Aug. 11.
Still deciding where to spend your Friday night? Check out Explore Fairbanks event calendar for more First Friday outings.