But once a year in September, for four days only, the park hosts the Denali National Park Road Lottery. Winners of the lottery are allowed to drive the road as far as weather permits. During the road lottery, 400 vehicles travel the road each day, which means 1,600 lucky people and their guests get to experience the park like no one else.
If you’re one of those lucky road lottery winners, you’re about to get more good news! Travelers who book a room at McKinley Chalet Resort during the Denali National Park Road Lottery will save 15% on the Flexible Rate on select dates! Plan a few extra days before or after your big drive to relax on the banks of the Nenana River.
The McKinley Chalet Resort is less than two miles from the entrance to the park, so you’ll be ready to hit the road early and come back after a long day of exploring to enjoy an evening next to our fire pit in Denali Square.
Here’s what you might expect to see and experience at the park during the road lottery:
- Tourist season is coming to an end. Some people might be closing up shop, but there will still be plenty of things to do and experience. McKinley Chalet Resort has everything you need for a comfortable stay.
- There will be 400 other cars on the road. Traffic will be moderate, but you likely won’t even notice with so much beauty all around you.
- Get ready to experience beautiful autumn colors. The brush and tundra will be bursting with all the yellows and oranges of fall.
- Even though the seasons are changing, you’re still sure to see plenty of wildlife. Bring your binoculars and keep your eyes trained.
- Be prepared and keep your eye on the weather! Pay attention to conditions because they can change at any moment. In the fall it could be sunny, rainy, windy or even snowy!