This Memorial Day weekend, we take time to remember and honor those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. Take advantage of the long weekend by spending time with your loved ones on a weekend getaway in Alaska. Looking for a last-minute place to book your Memorial Day weekend stay? Book a room at one of our Westmark Hotels and enjoy a long weekend in Alaska or the Yukon. Here are some itineraries to get you started!
Denali National Park
- A long weekend at Denali is one of the best ways to enjoy the park. Take a narrated bus tour to get a detailed introduction to the park with a tour guide who can answer all your questions as you pause to view wildlife and scenery.
- On day two, shuttle to Savage River. It’s a shorter ride and you’ll be able to hike the trails and picnic by the river.
- Enjoy dinner at Canyon Steakhouse, located at McKinley Chalet Resort
- Everyone is invited to attend the Municipality of Anchorage’s Memorial Day Ceremony with Anchorage Mayor Ethan Berkowitz to remember men and women who sacrificed their lives for their country. The event will begin at 9:30 a.m. and will include patriotic music and laying of wreaths to honor the fallen.
- On Saturday and Sunday, head to the Anchorage Market, Alaska’s largest, open-air market for fresh produce, Alaska souvenirs and more! Great food and entertainment included.
- If you’re lucky enough to have Friday afternoon off of work, head to Bear Tooth Theatrepub to celebrate National Tap Dance Day with The Tap Studio. A ticket to the event will include a pizza buffet and bottomless soda.
- Save room in your bag for plant starts because Calypso Farm is having a Memorial Day Plant Sale on Monday. Bring home a souvenir that will last in the form of herbs, fruit trees and more.
- It’s opening weekend at Pioneer Park! Head to the park for a weekend of live music, games, train rides and the opening of museums, shops and restaurants. Check out the full schedule.
- Take part in the historic Sitka Salmon Derby. The derby begins every year for all three days of Memorial Day weekend and continues the following weekend (if by chance you decide to extend your stay). Cash and prizes are awarded for the best catches.
- Get a taste of history at Sitka National Historical Park. The 107-acre park is the site of a Tlingit fort and visitors will find a collection of Haida and Tlingit totem poles at the park. It is also the site of a historic battle fought between the Tlingits and the Russians in 1804. The park’s auditorium shows a historic movie shedding a light on Sitka’s past.
Ready to book your Memorial Day weekend trip? Take advantage of our special in Denali, Anchorage and Fairbanks! In May and June, book two or more nights and receive 25% off. Book today!