During the chilly and dark months of winter, Alaskans like to get a little creative with their drinks. Here are some of our favorite seasonal drinks, each with a special twist.
- Westmark feature: Hot Peppermint Patty – A favorite at Westmark hotels, this sweet, seasonal beverage is the perfect nightcap on a chilly Alaska night.
12 ounces hot chocolate
2 ounces peppermint schnapps
Whipped cream and sprinkles, for garnish
Alaska twist: Use locally made artisanal chocolate from a chocolatier such as Modern Dwellers Chocolate Lounge. At Westmark hotels, the artisanal chocolate is not only made locally, but in-house!
- Gin and Tonic – A fresh gin and tonic is a perfect post-work pick-me-up before heading out to enjoy a night on the town.
4 ounces of tonic water
2 ounces of gin
Lime, to taste and for garnish
Alaska twist: Port Chilkoot Distillery in Haines has a delectable 50 Fathoms Gin that took home a double gold at the 2015 San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- Irish coffee – Hand down, Irish coffee is one of Alaskans’ favorite ways to warm up after a day on the slopes.
1 cup of brewed coffee
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1 ounce of whiskey
A dash of heavy cream
Alaska twist: In addition to locally made Alaska Outlaw whiskey, try using coffee from a local roaster such as Kaladi Brothers or SteamDot.
- Mulled wine –A warm cup of mulled wine is always a crowd-pleaser at winter dinner parties and gatherings.
1 bottle of red wine
¼ cup of honey
Alaska twist: Try using a wine from Bear Creek Winery, such as its black currant wine, and throw in some mulling spices from Summit Spice & Tea Co. in Anchorage.
- Beermosa – With a multitude of local breweries in the state, Alaskans love starting the weekend off right with a Saturday morning beermosa.
12 ounces of beer
4 ounces of orange juice
Alaska twist: Use a bright and hoppy beer like Midnight Sun Brewing Co.’s Pleasure Town IPA.