As Memorial Day approaches, this is a great time for us to reflect on all of those military members who have sacrificed their lives and time away from their families. We hope you’ll take the time to show them honor and respect this weekend. If you’re looking for ways to celebrate, here are some ideas happening in Westmark Hotels locations across the state.
Denali National Park
- There is nothing like spending a long weekend at Denali to enjoy the park and the tallest peak in North America. Start the adventure with booking your stay at the McKinley Chalet Resort located in the heart of Denali Canyon.
- Continue the adventure with a narrated bus tour that highlights all the history of the park, gives wildlife spotting opportunities and allows you to sit back and enjoy the surrounding scenery.
- During your weekend getaway, make sure to take the free Savage River Shuttle that will leave you stress free in finding parking so you can spend all your time hiking the trails and enjoying a picnic down by the river.
- To top off the weekend, there is nothing like enjoying a nice dinner at the Canyon Steakhouse featured at the McKinley Chalet Resort. This fine dining area offers a variety of steak entrees and can be paired perfectly with beverages from local breweries and wines.
- Just a short walk from the downtown Anchorage Westmark Hotel, you can head over to Jazz in the Park just a block away! It is free to the public with the live music starting at 4 p.m. till 6 p.m.
- The Memorial Day Ceremony put on by the Municipality of Anchorage welcomes the community to the Delaney Park Strip for the annual remembrance event. Mayor Dave Bronson, a retired military veteran, is hosting the event and includes distinguished speakers, laying wreaths to honor those who have fallen and patriotic music. The remembrance begins at 9:30 a.m., don’t be late!
- Alaska’s largest open-air market is held downtown in Anchorage on Saturdays and Sundays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. The market features fresh produce, photography prints, apparel and more!
- Fulfill your garden dreams and save room in your bag because you will want to bring home plant starts from Calypso Farm. From 9 a.m. to 12 pm., Calypso will be holding its annual Memorial Day sale and bringing families together to enjoy the simple things in life.
- Live it up like a local at the Pioneer Park opening weekend. From May 28 through Memorial Day, the park will be packed with activities for everyone! Come out for live music, free museum access and even a petting zoo.
- Unwind for a cozy weekend in Dawson City where the Westmark Inn serves customers home-cooked dining, spacious lounge area and an outdoor deck to relax and take in the city.
- Get a true Yukon experience at the Dawson City Museum where you can explore the history of the Klondike Gold Fields. Wax figures help the history come alive during your visit.
- Spend the honorary weekend outdoors on the hiking trails. They city is located in an area boasting ocean views, snowcapped mountain peaks, waterfalls and boreal forests.
Ready to book your Memorial Day weekend trip? Take advantage of our specials and book today!